Monday, November 29, 2010

Castle Thunder is Go!

So far my story contains (or will contain) shades of William Randolph Hearst, Julia Cameron - a female architect, the 1918 influenza epidemic, WWI aces, Isadora Duncan, Josephine Baker, early Hollywood, early jazz, and conditions facing African-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Native Americans and Mexicans. So I think it's time I introduced a Pinkerton detective, don't you?

I didn't know, but there was a female division of the Pinkertons. One of whom was arrested (as a spy I guess) and imprisoned in Richmond, Virginia's Castle Thunder prison.

??!!

Can you believe there was a prison called Castle Thunder? The guards apparently had a reputation for brutality. Well duh!! Call your prison Castle Thunder and I expect you'll attract all manner of melodrama. Including  a woman who enlisted in the civil war as a man. Good heavens.

Wiki doesn't say how it got its name, but apparently there was another prison of that name is Petersburg. Virginia was a weird place in the 1800s. Or the state boosters were hoping to make it into an episode of Flash Gordon.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia