Tuesday, July 6, 2010

That's 102.2 Fahrenheit for my friends down south


39 degrees with the humidity. And it's 1:30 AM. This is the kind of weather that leads to bloodshed. Whoever invented air conditioning should have gotten a Nobel peace prize. Tomorrow I have to go to a training session downtown for 8 AM. And I'm actually not complaining TOO much because, though it's an ungodly hour for me, it's still cooler than if I had to go downtown midday.

My One Remaining Cat (as I call her these days) still loves sitting out on the balcony at night, though. It's her favourite past-time, she'll stay out there as long as I leave the balcony door open. Just watching the stars. Or plotting her takeover of the planet, maybe.

BENVOLIO
I pray thee, good Mercutio, let's retire:
The day is hot, the Capulets abroad,
And, if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl;
For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring.


9 comments:

Kristin said...

Wait wait wait... How can you possibly have a temperature of 28 (82.2) with a heat index of 39 (102.2)??? Heat index doesn't work that way! For example, It's 97 F where I am today, and the heat index is somewhere around 102.2. So, what's with the huge discrepancy?

gmc said...

@Kristin: Heat index is derived from the humidity - indicates how quickly/slowly sweat evaporates from our skin - sort of... it affects how hot we feel.

The numbers you quote would just mean that the Montreal humidity was freakin' high! It's like walking through bathwater.

Here's the formula and a calculator etc:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/jkl/?n=heat_index_calculator

London Mabel said...

That's exactly it -- you feel like you could swim your way home.

ladada said...

Today Nanaimo shows Temp: 30 Heat Index 33
While Montreal shows Temp: 33 Heat Index 42

This is why I find the hot summer weather here quite pleasant. Without the stiffling humidity any breeze actually feels cool. And we have lovely fresh breezes from either the ocean or the forest! Ahhhh....

To everyone in Montreal - find some Air Conditioning and hang in there!!

London Mabel said...

They've created cool spots for people to hang out during the day, I assume mostly for homeless people and those who can't afford air conditioning. Good thinking, for seniors too.

But the extreme weather does become part of your identity here. Makes you feel like you're tough!

Kristin said...

Still doesn't seem possibly... It's hot where I live here. What's your percentage of humidity? Ours is 49 % today.

Kristin said...

Ooops, I meant to say it's *humid* where I live, at 49% today. Temperature is 99 F, heat index around 102.

Anyway, all I'm saying is... It seems like your humidity would have to be somewhere near 100% to get a heat index that high. Which I've never seen without tropical storms... I'm just saying.

London Mabel said...

You can see the humidity in the picture I posted--it was 74%.

The humidex in Canada, and the heat index in the US, are calculated differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

Kristin said...

Aha, I suspected as much. I knew it wasn't the same as the US heat index. That would've been impossible.

Sorry, I missed the humidity. That's pretty humid indeed! In any case, it'd be worth getting an a/c for me.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia