Thursday, April 8, 2010

getting nostalgic

Last year I was doing my taxes while cat sitting. And I apparently used the word "poopy", in relation to tax paying, back then too.

Friday, May 1, 2009

chores

I'm doing my taxes late for the first time in years. I'm usually pretty good, but I just had money-inertia this month. Now I'm looking up my McGill files to see if I had any tuition or pay, and I did. Oh sigh... more things to enter. Poopy. At least the tuition should help out. Didn't realize I'd paid any in 08.
...

At least I can watch Dynasty while doing taxes.


And here's a quote from 2006 where you can see my frustration with Quicktax (finally figured out it was UFile I used last year):

" I've been working on my and Ben's taxes today. But let's not talk about Evil Tax Software. Because it's evil. "

4 comments:

ladada said...

Too bad it's so complicated. Tax software sure beats having to bang it all out with a pencil and a calculator!

The last few years I've used an accountant or at least someone with accountant type skills (and only if recommended by friends who've used the same person in previous years). Costs a few dollars more, but well worth it just for the stress-reduction.

We keep a colored folder on the top of the cabinet and dump anything tax related into it during the year.

I always like your approach of thinking on all the good things that taxes support.

London Mabel said...

I remember UFile being much more intuitive, so I should be good.

But you're right, I should appreciate that I've never had to do it on paper!

ladada said...

We've usually found a reliable person (via personal references) to do it for anywhere between $50 to $100 dollars total (joint file F & me - and it is tax deductible).

Deliver the papers in a folder. Pick them up 3 days later. Mail forms or Efiling optional etc.. ALL DONE.

Best money I ever spend on taxes.

London Mabel said...

If my taxes were complicated I would do that--I used H&R when Fernando and I had a backlog.

But it cost $28 to do both of us with UFile, and just a few hours of work, so that's fine.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia