Sunday, March 20, 2011

Actual vegan restaurant eat-ahj

Fernando and I went to Aux Vivres restaurant for the first time last night, for supper. We'd never been--it's all vegan, which means I don't care if the food is mediocre, I'm gonna eat a lot! A starter, a dessert, everything!


The actual seating is really minimal so there was a line to get in, and a line pretty much the whole time we were there; but we only waited about 15 minutes I think.

Fernando had borscht, and I ordered us a starter plate of dips--more so I'd know what's good for any future trips. The vegepaté was fine, good tapenade, hummus is always good. The tofu dip was just okay, and there was something carrot-based-fishy-tasting that neither of us liked. I suspect it might be what they use for their bagel and lox.

Fernando then had the mumbai plate, which tasted good.


I ordered a dragon bowl--and they had three other types of bowls. It was so good. Next time I wouldn't have a starter, so I could finish it all. It's inspired me to try making a dragon bowl at home again. I tried one from Jae Steele, but it didn't turn out very well--I think it's helped having it made by someone else first so I know what the goal is.


(pic off their site)

We ordered dessert to go: chocolate banana pie, faux cheesecake, and truffles.

The truffles weren't sweet enough. The chocolate banana pie was good, but I'm not a huge banana person anyway. However the cheesecake... holy cow. Each layer was perfect, my DAYS. In my pre-vegan days I never met a cheesecake I liked as much as I loved this little spot of sugary goodness.

(pic from their site - it looked like this, but paler)


As they say in French: menoum menoum!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you been to Crudessence? I believe it's vegan. I've been to the one on Rachel and it was delicious.

London Mabel said...

I want to try that next.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia