Tuesday, February 15, 2011

good teevees

In WWII London's National Gallery collection was removed to a slate quarry in Manod, Wales for safe keeping. (There was talk of taking the collection to Canada, but Churchill refused to let them leave the island. My first thought was: Imagine if that ship sank!!) Once a month they would bring a picture out to display, to keep up morale.


Inspired by this story, children's author Frank Cottrell Boyce wrote a book about this happening a second time--the National Gallery needing to be emptied (because of flooding) and the paintings removed to Manod, but this time the effects of the paintings on the inhabitants of the town.

They made it into a BBC TV movie, which I taped off Masterpiece Classic but only just watched today. It was so good--a keeper. A mix if two genres I like: (a) quirky inhabitants of small town; (b) value of art for everyone, including non-art-scholars.

A jolly way to start my day right. But now I have to go do careerz homeworks.  >:-(

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia