Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sick kitty

Poor Ms Haley is spending the night in the hospital. When I fed the cats before bed yesterday (at 6 AM) she came, but didn't eat a thing. And I realized she'd been hiding out in the bedroom, and wanted to keep doing so. All day today she just slept and didn't eat. So at 6 PM I took her to the emergency clinic. She turned out to have a fever and the vet scared me with dire possibilities, and the we-might-do-$1000s-in-tests-and-still-not-know possibility. Which I guess she has to say before people agree to spend the money, but it just made me think my cat was going to DIE.

After the first run of tests she turned out to not have any bad values for her kidneys, only for her bladder--so it should be a localized bladder infection. She's staying overnight to have more tests tomorrow and see the internist. If the antibiotics have brought her fever down by then, hopefully I can take her home tomorrow night.

Minion's been especially rambunctious and naughty tonight. I don't think she likes being One and Only Remaining Cat.

On top of it all, Haley's going to hate me when this is all done. The first summer I went on a vacation and left her behind with Fernando, she sulked me for about two months--that is, she'll cuddle with Fernando, and leap around when he gets home, and demand his attention, but mostly ignore me. She's been doing the same thing since Minion came, and only in the last couple weeks has gone back to sitting on my lap.
Evidence of recent cuddle

This is the first time she's had to stay overnight at the doctor's since we got her. And having previously been abandoned and left to a shelter, she may think we're not coming back for her. !! So when I do get to bring her home, she's gonna be a pissy kitty.

But I'd rather bring home a pissy kitty than none at all. Here's hoping.




PS -  While I still dislike bringing my cats to the emergency place, the doctor was really sweet and gentle with Haley. But she used the same examination room where we put down Sherry!! Good thing I had a PG Wodehouse book to hold my hand throughout.

PSS - I asked Fernando: "Do you think Haley's doing okay?" He replied: "She's currently leading the other animals in a prison break and we'll soon get a call from the police." That reassured me.

1 comment:

ladada said...

Poor baby. Keep us posted.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia