Thursday, August 6, 2009

I got the heebies! I mean the jeebies! Come on and do the heebie-jeebie dance.

Alright, today we're going to talk about Things I Don't Like in a home.

I don't mind a small bathroom, or a small kitchen that extends into a dining area. But I've realized that what really gives me the heebie-jeebies is spaces that remind me of apartment living. While the simple act of moving across the country will cut down on the amount of stuff we own, Fernando and I will never be people who live a sparse, zen-like existence.

For example, I have a shelf of tools in the hallway just outside my bedroom, and I will always have such a shelf cause I'm a do-it-myself-er. (I have another shelf-worth of paint and crafting tools, which were hidden in the broom closet until F appropriated the closet, and now my brooms and buckets and paint have been scattered to the 4 corners of the earth.) I am tired of having to store my tools in a hallway, or a closet. I want a garage dammit! Or a utility room!

We also have 3 cat boxes to help keep the peace (you should have the same number of cat boxes as you have cats, +1. We are minus a +1.) In a spread-out home I could get these damned things out of the way!


Here we have an example of a cramped little living room.
I am not working full-time so I can afford a place
where I bump my shins against the coffee table when I get up
to answer the phone.

The other thing that reminds me of apartment living
is long rooms. They're really hard to do anything with.
Look at this! What the hell? I'd have to turn it into
a wardrobe or something. Definitely not an office.

This is the kind of narrow livingroom I have right now
(and have always had in apartments.) It's hard to
decorate / place the furniture.
It's not a deal-breaker, but spleuh.
This is why I shiver when people suggest
we get a condo. OWN a crappy apartment??!!!

Long cramped kitchen, no light.

Ah! Ah! I'm suffocating!

Eep! Eep!

Something else I don't like: useless corners.
What's the point of how this condo is built?
All you can put there is a bookcase, and why the
hell do I want a bookcase in the middle of nowhere?
For the books I don't like?


Carpeting.
3 cats.
Hairballs.

Fireplaces.
For the most part, I think they're just plain ugly.
And take up wall space that could be dedicated to...
Books! Or art!
(This one is art on fireplace - even worse.)
I'm really not that fussy. Except about the overall space. The space is the #1 priority. But there you have some of the Things That Make Me Go Blehhhh.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia