Thursday, August 6, 2009

Convention Fail... pity us, Mr T Sock Monkey

Friend Mae and I have invented Convention Fail... not on purpose.

When I sent her the notice about Worldcon coming to town, she didn't pay it no mind cause she thought it was only sci fi. She only realized a couple days ago that Neil Gaiman will be there. "I told her: Not just there, he's the headline act! Fool!" I didn't call her a fool.

But I'm a big fool too! This morning Fernando told me that Connie Willis is signing books tomorrow morning.

For those Not Informed, Connie Willis is in my Top 10 Authors of All Time faves list.

I was sure he was teasing me, and made him show me in the convention booklet. And then I looked through and realized she's giving all sorts of events! Not that I'd go to the whole convention just for those, but if I'd known in advance I could have taken off whichever one day looked best to me. You can go for one day for about $89, or you can go for 3 hours for $20. I'll probably go for 3 hours and take in one of her talks.

Pretty sure, however, that I will not be capable of getting downtown for 9 AM, before my later evening shift on Sunday, to go to:

4-014 Sun/Dim 9:00 1hr
P-516AB Literature in English
The History Builders
Edward James, Jo Walton, Sarah Mick-
lem, Connie Willis
Why do authors such as Patrick O’Brian,
Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer appeal so
much to SF readers?

For those Not Informed Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer are in my top authors list too! (Though I loved them before I ever came to sci fi... so maybe this talk will be meaningless to me. ...Maybe Fernando can go and secretly record it for me.)

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia