Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Christmas Tree At Last!

This is my last weekend before The Big Week. My last chance to put up a Christmas tree. When I was in school I rarely put up a tree because it required too much Cleaning Up of the Home etc. so I was determined to have my little tree up this year. And I also sorted out all my many ornaments.

This is the nativity scene Delyriam gave me one year, from
10 000 Villages. With a disco ball in it.

This is Christmas in San Francisco 1906.
You can see the richest house is up on the top hill,
and it's right on a fault line. They'll be goners pretty soon.
I added the train because SF was built by the train barons.

My first ornaments were all bought very-reduced at fancy department stores and I quite like them. (Plus some dollar store additions.) But Fernando's foster mother used to make Victorian ornaments and he started buying them for me, in order to support her. So now we have zillions.

Here are some of the crafty types.

My miscellaneous ornaments (many from Delyriam who
would buy them for me at Christmas.)

My Olde Fasionedee ones, plus
the Rudolph ones inherited when Pablo moved away.

The red ornaments (most by Foster Mother.)

The burgundy ornaments (most by Foster Mother.)

The pink collection (most by Foster Mother.)

My plastic fruit - my Indian peeps and birds and elephants
(from 10 000 Villages) - and my toy soldiers.

And the usual balls.
Plus! my best find yet: The red wooden garland.

Every year I have to pick a Theme.
Last year I decorated my brother's tree with my ornaments
(since my place was too insane and messy and sad for a tree--schoolz!)
so I chose a Sober and Masculine theme.
With a flapper on top.

Here is the bare tree...

Decorated...
Lit up!
Ahh... so cozy.Here are the cats' dollar store stockings hung up.

Nombly

Bones

Haley

I think the ornaments I'm enjoying best this year...
My little Indian dudes (each one if from a different province)...

The monkey from Delyriam...

The little birds.

Of course every year I enjoy my Serious Looking Teddy Angel.
He looks like he's taken all the suffering of the world
upon his little velvet covered shoulders.

I also put up a wreath made by the Foster Mommy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Christmas! Dude, you have so many ornaments!
My favourite one on my tree is a little electric thing that attaches to an empty twinkle-light socket and spins around at a steady speed. It has a bear, a penguin and an inuit on it and it says hohoho. From my mommy.

Anonymous said...

Those stockings are the coolest thing I've ever seen. Willow is jealous and indignant that she doesn't have a Spoiled stocking as well.

Kristin said...

That is not a "little tree." It's a big tree.

London Mabel said...

It's 6 feet -- just a little taller than me. Every year I put it together and think--am I missing a piece?? I don't think they come shorter than that, do they? It's small enough I could probably reach my arms around and hug it. :-)

Kristin said...

My mom uses a mini fake tree that's about three feet, but yeah, live ones come as small as you want in the Capitalist Wonderland of these United States where one can buy Anything at All. :)

Kristin said...

'Cause, seriously, all you have to do is cut the top of it off, and you have a three foot tree.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia