Saturday, December 20, 2008

The History of Me: In Winter, or Ode to My Super Nuclear Mittens

My childhood winter memories are all of me freezing outside. I didn't like tobogganing for more than 30 minutes and I have a vague memory of cross country skiing and hating it cause I was so coldy. I detested having to go outside for recess.

The greatest invention of all winter times were those little sachets you could put in your mittens and to warm your hands. They got me through those stupid winter field trips.

In high school I wore full winter regalia when everyone else wore running shoes and little else. (But my outfit was very cute. A long black military-cut coat, black rabbit mittens, and one those 80s hood hats (so elegant.) I was happy for the youth of today when I saw the fashion change to ski jackets and big boots.
Thinsulate was the next great invention. When my father bought me a pair of nylon shell thinsulate mittens, in Cegep, my life changed. I still own them. (I had a nice black pair but lost them because of Schoolz.) I called the material Super Nuclear.

Last winter I couldn't find my scarf to wear, so I grabbed one of Fernando's boring navy polar fleece scarves, and holy crap! I died from the heat! I ran out and bought myself a dalmation print polar fleece scarf for those -30 days.

The other outfit I only pull out for extreme cold--because otherwise it's so warm I die--is the giant fuzzy jogging suit my father bought me so I can be warm when writing. The Super Nuclear Jogging Suit. Even though it's only -16 today, I was so cold this evening I had to break it out. Ahhh... so toasties.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

They made you go outside for recess in winter? Every day?

Also, eh... Only -16?

Kristin said...

*wants a big fuzzy jogging suit*

London Mabel said...

Well it's not -20 yet!

Is it true that in North Carolina for Christmas people put Moravian stars in their windows? This was the factoid for the day that one of my managers told me.

Kristin said...

Well, people from the Moravian community might do that, yeah. This is a relatively small culture relegated to the Greensboro area which is... One of the bigger cities, yeah, but I didn't grow up with Moravian stars in the window or nothin'. Never saw 'em around Raleigh, either. The Moravians are mostly known around those parts for making paper thin sugar cookies in the shapes of stars and selling them in gourmet food outlets.

What is more common is luminaries. Little...sand bag candles lit and put out all down the neighborhood roads in Christmas Eve. We don't usually have to worry about snow or ice on that night, so yeah. It's lovely, really, to see.

Kristin said...

oops, *on* Christmas Eve

Kristin said...

Speaking of ice and snow... Three new inches on the roads this morning, and not yet plowed 'cause it's Sunday, I guess. Or maybe there's more coming... Cannot. wait. to be home where it looks like it'll be in the 60's at least a bit (around 17 C). Here, it is currently... About -5 C. We just had a swift drop in temperature, it was hovering at around 0.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia