Monday, June 9, 2008

If it's Sunday it Must Be Vancouver

Sleepy day in Chilly Vancouver. Watched tv with the Madre, did some microwave cooking. Now I'm tootling around on the internets, reading randomness.

So here's one of my randomnesses. I like Robert Downey Jr. But I can never remember what I've seen him in, that has led me to like him so much. He did some silly romantic comedies that weren't very good--couldn't be for those. So I had to google him.


The first big film I loved him in was Chaplin. Great acting, and looked the part. (Ever seen Chaplin without his Tramp makeup? Very cute.)


He had a funny part in Wonder Boys which reminded me how great he is; and the only time I watched Ally MacBeal was when he was on. Also has a nice singing voice.

But it must have been Restoration that made the biggest impact on me, after Chaplin. I love both the movie and the novel, which is about a young man in Restoration England, who has a natural gift for healing people, but is partying his life away. And it's only after various highs and lows that he grows up and awakens to this gift (he is restored, get it? Huh huh?)

Downey has had about 9 lives, thanks to all the people who've given him chances in Hollywood, over and over again. I hope he's out of the drugs for good this time, but it won't surprise me if he backslides. Hopefully he'll backslide after an Iron Man II, but before a III, because the 3rd movie of most trilogies sucks.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! You need to watch Kiss Kiss Bang bang - great Robert Downey Jr movie. :)

(And watch the trailer for Tropic Thunder - his role could either be really awesome or horrifying.)

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia