Monday, June 9, 2008

Porkins: Hero of the Red Squadron

Perhaps I should make a note of something. I did not compare myself to Jek Porkins in a previous post as a way of insulting myself. Porkins was a great hero who died trying to destroy the first Death Star. (How strange that his last name was such a self-fulfilling prophecy, though.)

My friends Gilby and Alfonse have a group of guy friends who for years did a holiday gift exchange. The rule was to bring one gift, and people chose them randomly (including girlfriends/wives) but if you went after someone else, you could steal their gift and give them your lousy one.

Alfonse, who clearly has excellent taste, one year brought the Porkins action figure. I was terribly jealous! I forget who won him, but not someone very excited by him, because they regifted poor Porkins the next year! And then someone's wife got him, who also had no interest in him. When I heard of this, I was shocked. I begged Gilby to reclaim Porkins for me, should he be regifted again. He was of course, and Gilby snatched him up for me.

When we went to see the final Star Wars movie as part of Gilby's Bachelor Party Day I stuck Porkins into my jacket breast pocket (I think I also had a sign that said "Porkins: Regifted No More") and wore him to the movie theatre where all G's friends could see him and feel shame.

Hard-won Porkins is the pride of my Star Wars collection.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia