Saturday, April 9, 2011

This week in veganeats

I didn't go out anywhere.

The yogurts are done. I got rid of a couple more mac and cheeses. There's still a ton of those soup packets, though.

It's been Lazy Cooking for One week. I mostly had...

* penne with tomato sauce made with tons of mushrooms (Fernando's not a mushroom fan, so I'm taking advantage while he's gone)

* rice and fried mushrooms

* cabbage (I have a bag of chopped cabbage from when I was making dragon bowls)

* strawberries and "whipped cream" (from the uncheese cookbook - menoum!)

* raspberry walnut pancakes (Dolce Vegan) with the rest of the uncream-cream (menoum menoum!)

* chickpea-seaweed sandwiches (Vegan with a Vengeance) (menoum! didn't make enough, had to make a second batch)

* cocoa & soy milk

* homemade granola (Dolce Vegan)

But now I'm running out bread and milk. Haven't been to the grocery store. Locked in my home, alternating between doing the things I need to do, and procrastinating from them.

Speaking of procrastinating... BYE!

2 comments:

dirtyduck said...

uncheese cookbook..i NEED that book!!! and a chickpea seaweed sandwich...huh....

London Mabel said...

See what the shipping is like on abebooks on amazon second hand, there should be lots kicking around for cheap. The reviews on it (Uncheese Ckbk) are very mixed. Apparently the mac and cheese recipe is the worst thing known the vegan kind. I haven't cooked from it a lot, but I tried a couple cheeses years ago and they were nice. More spreadable types. But this "whipped cream" I love: It's 1 package of firm silken tofu (the Tetrapak stuff), 2 TB veg oil, 2 TB maple syrup, 1 teaspoon vanilla. And then I hand blender it. It's really nice with berries. Or berries and biscuits. Or even on its own.

I amusingly made the chickpea sound grosser than it is. It's meant to reproduce tuna salad sandwiches. You mash up a can of chick peas, then mix with fake mayonaise, the usual salt and pepper, then grated carrot (or whatever you like in such spreads), and then if you want you add a TB of dried seaweed. Her recipe calls for hijiki which she presoaks. I think mine's flakes up Nori? I don't soak it. The first time I was so nervous I put a TEENY amount. Couldn't taste it. Tried a little more. Tasted find. Tried a little more until I was up to a full TB, and it tasted great. It's not fishy-sea tasting for some reason.

But the chickpeas with mayo & sundry ingredients is magic all on its own. If you like sandwiches.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia