Saturday, April 9, 2011

This week in French: new words entering head

I look up so many new words in the book I'm reading, or for the show I watch etc., that I was afraid I wouldn't retain any of them. Except moumoune (which means sort of wimpy, baby-lala), and boulot (a more casual word for job or work.) And joufflu (chubby).

But just now I was reading my new Châtelaine subscription and there were three of my new words on one way. Fredonner = humming. Boucle = which I knew, but in the specific context of playing music in a loop. And tripes=which is "tripe" in English too, but in French when something's coming from "les tripes" or affects you in "les tripes" it's (to quote my Larousse) "in the seat of your emotions, your convictions." The guts, I guess, but less gross.

So the words, they are entering the head. This is giving the encouragement.

1 comment:

ladada said...

ooo, la la. but of courssse!

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia