Saturday, March 26, 2011

This Week in Cats: faux fire alarms

We get so many fake alarms in this building, most people don't come out for them. I always take them seriously, cause the building is shaped like a U so it could be on the other side and I wouldn't know. Anyway, it's my responsibility for my kitties that I take seriously.

I keep a cat carrier by the front door, and another one at the other end of the apartment, by the window that's closest to the ground. But all of our windows are just low enough that I would risk jumping out of them if I had to. I'd break something, but probably live.

I also take the alarms as a chance to practice my kitty corralling skills--this time sans Fernando. I was pretty good, I had them boxed in I think under a minute. Haley is key because she got spooked by one of the alarms once, hid under the bed, and then I shoved the bed aside and grabbed her anyway. So now anytime she hears a fire alarm she's really spooked and heads for the hills. And cats are SO good at hiding. So the second I saw her trotting past me I grabbed her and caged her.

Funny how the plastic cage lock, which I can't seem to close 99% of the time, I managed to shut with no trouble on the first try. Wonderful what adrenaline will do for your muscles, motor skills, and brain puzzle thinking skills.

Minion was in the kitchen and she had a "Should I keep moseying or take flight?" look on her face. As I walked towards her, she'd take a step or two back. So I just kept talking nicely, as I had to Haley. Scooped her up, and she got the big cage. Got my wallet, my boots, my jacket, and we were off into the night (in my jammies.)

When we returned I gave them Snappy Toms and all returned to normal.

3 comments:

Simone said...

I agree - it's all about practicing my kitty corralling skills.

I remember once when I live on the same block people were surprised I bothered to take the cat. Someone once mentioned that it didn't even cross their mind!

I send them evil deathrays.

London Mabel said...

Someone said that to me last time! Am i gonna have to run around saving everyone else's cats if there's a fire?

Aluwings said...

I wonder if you could make the experience into a positive training session somehow by having some favorite treat handy that you can pop into the cage with them? ... Wouldn't it be great if upon hearing the bell they bolted right into the cage to await the treat! ... of course they're perhaps too spooked by all the noise to care about treats at that time...

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia