Monday, December 20, 2010

Series: My Best Reads of 2010 #3

BEST BOOKS I READ IN 2010 - PUBLISHED IN 2010

Historical / Science Fiction:
Blackout and All Clear - Connie Willis - American author (February & October 2010)
Follows the story of three time travel historians who get stuck in London during the Blitz, and have to figure out what's gone wrong or they'll be trapped in the past (or worse.) This one's a mixed bag because Willis could have used a tougher editor, and I found one of her protagonists uninteresting. But.

(1) Willis is fascinated by this moment in time, and she drew me into her fascination with her meticulous research (including a random meeting with a bunch of ladies who drove ambulances in WWII.) (2) Willis always works with a theme. This time it was heroism: the Grand Gesture vs the Everyday Hero. She perfectly and touchingly weaved it into the ending, so I got Full Closure.

(3) I loved Eileen, the seemingly most fragile of the three historians, and I loved the people she drew in around her--the curate, and the two most evil children on the side of the Allies, the Hodbins. Alf and Binnie Hodbin alone made this series for me.
Special Relationship: Polly and the Shakespearean actor Sir Godfrey--his acting moved me to tears and I was just reading about it! And there's a nice parallel with Prospero and Miranda from The Tempest.

Did I get teary? Yes, a few times. And one good lol involving tanks.

Further Reading: If you want to know the-big-deal-with-Connie-Willis then you have to read The Doomsday Book. I bought it years ago simply because it had won so many awards, and I can remember where I was as I read the first chapter (bus, 203 route), and where I was when I read the ending (this living room, listening to Gordon Lightfoot.) Theme, characters, juggled storylines, historical research, horror, beauty, humour--all brilliantly handled.


Imaginary Casting: Christopher Plummer as Sir Godfrey

Other Covers






3 comments:

Simone said...

I am reading the Doomsday book now.

London Mabel said...

Did you already read All Clear?

Simone said...

Yes

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia