Friday, November 12, 2010

50 Questions - What's the sickest you've ever been?


About 10 years ago I got something that took me out for about 10 days (I missed a whole week of work, and then the weekends around it were a writeoff as well.) I never went to the doctor because (a) I'm often too lazy, and (b) most of the time you turn out to have a virus and they can't help you anyway, after sitting in the office for hours.

So I don't know what I had, except that a lot of other people at work turned out to have a combination of pneumonia and bronchitis, and that's what my symptoms were like.

I was so weak I could barely make it to the bathroom and back. I had so much congestion in my lungs that at one point I was trying to clear my throat, and it wouldn't clear and I thought I was on the verge of suffocating (I remember clearly, I was standing in front of the fridge.) I was mildly hallucinating--I had this feeling like my body parts had personalities (my noes and my feet.) I cycled through every kind of sick effect--at one point nauseous, then so stuffed up I filled a large garbage bag with kleenex and I had to sleep sitting up, then a throat so sore I couldn't sleep because of the explosion effect, etc.

I have rarely been so miserable in my life. I understood how people can die of having a flu.

The only other time I can remember being physically miserable (I have few childhood memories) was the first day-night after my jaw operation. I was so chronically uncomfortable and nauseous that I couldn't concentrate on anything, which meant I was BOOOORED. Oh my God. Being bored is one of the worst things that can happen to me. I have a great imagination so in most cases I can at least while away the time by floating in a daydream; but if I'm very upset by something, or in pain, I can't do it.

Alright--time for your Tales of Woe please.

2 comments:

dirtyduck said...

oh thats so sad! and the part about you going back toschool after jaw surgery! well parts of that were kinda cute/funny. little london mabel in school:)

my sickest? mono, and i obsessively didnt share cups/straws or boyfriends so i never knew how i got it. like you i could not swallow. but it didnt sound nearly as bad off as you!

London Mabel said...

It was grade 10 and I had a big puffy face at school! But no one made fun of me. :-)

Mono's exhausting! My friend ended up re-doing a school year for that.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia