Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gilmabelfest Day 1 - Part 1 Trying to get to Stratford

Well, I haven't had a standby suspense day like that in years! For years now when I've flown standby I would check in advance to see free seats vs. people registered as standby, and if there's more of the former than the latter, no problem getting on.

But I think I usually avoided traveling on a Friday! There seemed to be a lot of employees who kept showing up (every time I saw a set of brass wings I cursed!) and my dad said a lot of business travelers will show up, hoping to fly standby back home for the weekend.

Normally I really wouldn't mind--provided there's still a lot of possible flights to get on, it means a lot of sitting around in the airport, but eventually you get on and I get to my destination. My destination was usually My Mom's House, so no deadline. When I came out to Gilmabelfest last year I think I bought a ticket, though, and when I went to London of course.

But this year I thought, nah, I'll save the money and just go early enough to get through several flights. Meeps! I missed two before making it on the third. And they were at opposite ends of the concourse, which made it funnier. The first flight was at gate 1. Then gate 51. Then gate 5. And there's no moving ramp in the Montreal airport.

When I finally got my ticket, the nice employee at the gate said: Sorry we only have middle seats.

!!

(It's a one hour flight, not to mention this is a great privilege to travel for only the cost of the taxes. I don't take that for granted.)

I said: I'm just glad to get on, I'm going to a show!!

But then we left 15 minutes late because there was some connecting passenger who they weren't sure made the flight, and weren't sure if his baggage did. Damn you Passenger Jones!!!

On the plus side, they must have sent our luggage on the previous flight (though they're not supposed to for security reasons) because mine was just sitting there waiting for me on the ground by the wheel. Yay!

But Gilby hadn't put together the fact that if he'd left his nearby work early enough to be waiting for my flight, we could have left right away. (He's in charge of a huuuuge job right now, so all his brain cellulage is taken up by that. Plus I'm the planner. His enjoyment of Gilmabelfest is that he does 0 planning.)

There was traffic like a mozefoze, so he got to me by 6:35, and traffic like a mozefoze getting out of town. But we made it to the theater by 8:20, which is better than we initially hoped for. (His onstar navigation actually gave us an updated ETA as we drove, which was fun.)

It was in the smaller theater, which turned out well, because what they do is seat you secretly in the back, and you can go to your seat at intermission. Well the theater is so small they were great seats anyway! (It's where we saw Earnest last year, next to our old hotel.)

So all's well that ends well.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia