Monday, May 3, 2010

Scene from the past - Being Demoted

I don't really know how to write this one out. (To quote Woody Allen, maybe if I got a little drunk I could dance it for you.)

The choking of Ozzel and promotion of Piett...

always reminds me of a staff meeting years ago.

Our old general manager had left, and instead of promoting the guy we thought they'd promote (let's call him Joe), they brought in a newbie. Some head office bigwig or two was present to announce Newbie, at a staff meeting. The Newbie was so nervous he was reading a little speech from cue cards so, naturally, we were all being a bit snicker-ee.

I vaguely remember Gilby and I sitting in the back row re-envisioning the Admiral Piett scenes, with the Bigwig choking the Newbie ("you're as clumsy as you are stupid") and then turning to Joe to utter the famous phrase:

"You're in command now, General Manager Joe."

2 comments:

BrotherPaul said...

Great scene for a novel. I'm just sayin'.

gmc said...

phew - scared me. When I first started reading I was worried you were about to break bad news about your own job... oh noooo! Don't choke her! Don't choke her!!

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia