Monday, April 5, 2010

reading and tving

I think I'll read The Agency next, about Victorian girl spies. A coworker picked up a free reading copy for me at a Random House show. I've still got White Teeth on the go, but after reading a couple sewious litewawy books, I'm due for something light.

If it's good I'll save it for the step-mommy. I bet she would have liked to have been a girl spy.

In the meantime I'm also reading that book on the music industry, some business books, and a book of/about poetry that my brother left behind when he moved.

The Husband and I finished watching all the Entourage series last night--can't wait for season 6 on DVD, cause we don't have HBO. But the entire set of Vicar of Dibley arrived, so maybe we'll move on to that. This is often how we spend time when he's not in Warcraft mode--sitting at opposite ends of the couch, playing with our respective toys (me the internets, and for him at the moment Dungeons and Dragons.)

Why do we say we "can't wait" for something when we clearly have to, and therefore can?

7 comments:

dirtyduck said...

my husband does soul caliber(sp?) while"do" the internet:)does he ever play SC?

Kristin said...

What, White Teeth is too serious??? It's totally a light book! I mean, for a book that begins with a suicide attempt, it's very very light.

So, Entourage is worth watching then? I keep reading disparate reviews and haven't ever gotten around to watching any of it.

London Mabel said...

No you're right, it wasn't super serious, certainly not Pol-Pot-serious. I wasn't very far in, but it was sort of book-full-of-depressed-characters-whose-lives-are-mildly-sad. I'll get back to it. I just need a break to read about girl spies or something.

I love Entourage, but that's because I enjoy (a) stupid boy shows, and (b) ensemble-ish shows. I like little gangs of people hanging out and being funny.

You MIGHT like it--I seem to recall you liked the stoopid boys in Knocked Up. They're like that, except in Hollywood, with one guy who isn't a loser.

If you can't tolerate a bunch of young guys running around treating women like sex objects, though, then don't go for it. You can probably tell just from the small clips on youtube.

London Mabel said...

Dirtyduck: I've never heard of Soul Calibur! I'll have to ask him if he has.

Kristin said...

Hmm... I'm not sure. Knocked Up was entertaining. Superbad was the best I've seen of that genre. I'm getting kinda tired of it though--especially as awful as movies like Forgetting Sarah Marshall have been. Not sure I'd like a whole show. Might check it out some time.

I do like Californication, but more for the tragicomedy than the bromance of it. I thought it got silly through much of season 3, but regained a lot of its depth in the incredibly depressing season finale. See below:

I mean, yeah, mildly depressed characters whose lives are mildly sad... But I mean... That was definitely the lightest book I've read in years, but I'm sensing that our tastes must, um, diverge a lot. (I got bored with On Beauty because it was too stylized and light and upper class people doing upper class things. At least as far as I got.)

Maybe it has something to do with how I was raised. Particularly on one side of my family...are a bunch of people who laugh a lot about pretty objectively tragic things, so I inherited some kind of grim humor gene/culture.

Kristin said...

I mean, but okay... So, we're both Ricky Gervais fans, amirite? What he does is generally pretty tragic too.

London Mabel said...

U iz rite. I don't dislike tragic or comi-sad at all. It just isn't the only thing I like.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia