Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rich Person Guilt, Comfort Food, and one Good Cookbook


I guess when I'm in a blah mood I feel like cooking. Yesterday I made pasta, and vegetable soup with dumplings. Today I made muffins and bread. There's something comforting about the process. I turn on CBC radio, then I sit down and poke through my cookbooks until I find what I'm in the mood for (and have ingredients for), then I unload and reload the dishwasher, clean all the counters with vinegar and water, fire up the oven, pull out my beautiful green mixing bowls, and get started. I load the dirty cooking things into the empty dishwasher as I go, so by the end I have a warm kitchen, good food, and a clean kitchen.

The CBC show was Definitely Not the Opera, and the theme was guilt--parental guilt, cultural guilt, survivor guilt, guilt of a woman who got out of Afghanistan, guilt of the grandson of a concentration camp doctor, green guilt, etc. It was perfect for my mood, because right now I'm steeped in Living in a Rich Country guilt.

I should plug my favourite cookbook again. I was in the mood for muffins and for a herbed no-yeast bread, and decided to go with the two recipes in Jae Steele's book because 99% of her recipes turn out great. And they did once again.


I made apple cinnamon muffins (but with cranberries instead of raisins) and the "almost focaccia bread." Both turned out dreamy. I've never seen a bad review for this book, and you don't need to be vegan to enjoy it. She doesn't rely on prepared vegan foods (fake cream cheese, fake cheese etc) but instead emphasizes whole foods, so at work I recommend it to people just looking for a healthy cookbook. The recipes are also quick... so good for lazy people like moi...
Get it in...

Canada
The US
The UK
France
Japan
and probably a lot of other countries.

And she has a new book out this spring! Yays!

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia