Saturday, January 16, 2010

Costume - trial run

I had to put together my costume to make sure it would all work. It's hard to see the details cause it's black (and I was photographing myself in the kitchen), but the 3 key parts turned out to be:

1. Tying a ribbon tightly along the empire waistline. The original waistline didn't fight tight against the body, which it needs to for Regency effect.

2. Pinning the wraparound skirt along the waistline to create a train. I found a picture online of a train, and it was pinned all the way up to the front sides of the dress, and I think that ended up being the key to the train effect.

3. The accessories. (I forgot to photograph my little reticule, and my black handkerchief for weeping in, or for challenging zombies to duels.)


I'm wearing my high quality boots, so my feet should be ok. And they passed the dancing test. (You don't want shoes that grip too well.) My skirt's a bit short, but better for running and fighting. (Or I'm very fast and showing off my ankles to the boys.)

The Vair Serious look on my face is the famous British Stiff Upper Lip in the face of disaster.

I still need to make a sword, and maybe a fan.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

What is this for?

yally said...

You know your awesome right? So awesome...Put a little smile on my face seeing this pic. Tough times now.

Kristin said...

Oops, nevermind, I found your older post. I hope you have warm tights and a coat 'cause that looks *cold.*

Is P & P & Zombies worth reading, by the way?

London Mabel said...

I read one paragraph and it was like reading the 9 year olds' classics version, so I didn't read it. But since you don't like those books, you might!

It wasn't cold at all. We were indoors after all. And then I was daaanciiing...

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia