Saturday, July 25, 2009

[I just found this posting which I never posted.]

One of the facebook applications I enjoy is the one that asks you for "lists of 5 things". The one I did today was 5 songs that remind you people, but I could have done more than 5! I could probably think of a song for almost everyone I know.

I chose...

Theme to Jeeves & Wooster
(1) Because my sister-in-law was the first person I knew who loved the Jeeves and Wooster series as much as me, including the music.

Paradise By the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf
(2) Because my brother and I loved this album as children and knew all the words to the baseball scene, so it reminds me of him.

Jennifer by the Eurythmics
(3) My childhood best friend (M) had this album so it reminds me of her, listening to "Jennifer" in her kitchen.

Free Love on the Freelove Highway by David Brent
(4) Gilby sang this alllll through Oxford when we visited.

Au Bal Masqué de La Compagnie Créole
(5) My step-mother: We used to listen to La Compagnie Créole when on road trips.

I could add...

This Land is Your Land - Peter, Paul and Mary
Any of the early PPM I enjoyed makes me think of my dad, cause they were his albums.

Bootylicious - Destiny's Child
Friend Mae, since she was into the song when it came out, and we started exchanging Stevie Nicks music as a result.

Take a Chance on Me - Abba
Friend Swiss, since she pointed out the "take a chance take a chance take a chic-a chance chance" line of the male background singer, which I'd never noticed.

Love (Over and Over) - Kate and Anna McGarrigle
My mum intro'd me to a lot of the bands I love. This was an early example. She had to who "Emily, Anne and Charlotte" were.

Do What You Have to Do - Sarah McLachlan
Friend Cher, ever since she told me it was on her post-Fuckwit-breakup tape.

He's So Shy - Pointer Sisters
One of my ex-coworkers. His hated ex-girlfriend used to reference this song and say how cute and shy he was.

Strangers in the Night - Sinatra
My boss has been doo-bee-doo-bee-dooing since I met him 11 years ago.

Mandy - Barry Manilow
One of my ex-coworkers used to sing: "Oh [insert my real name] you came and you told me a story." And it wasn't until I heard Mandy on the radio, years later, that I realized what he was riffing off of!

The Girl from Ipanema - various
Friend Alfonse, since he's the first person I've met who loved the song. (The only version I ever really knew was the Rick Moranis.)

Okay I'll stop now.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia