Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ahh the rites of spring...

The first spring my present store was open, I remember my fellow Fiction staffer telling me it was his favourite time of the year. Why? Because this is when all the girls come out of their winter clothes and start wearing skirts and small tops again.

Years later one of my manager friends downtown described to me the lunchtime scene one day, when he stepped out of the store to enjoy the spring sun and enjoy the women walking by. And when he looked up and down Ste. Catherine's Street, he saw men up and down the street doing the same thing.

Just now I was reading an essay by a woman who went to school with Leonard Cohen in the 1950s, and she tells this story:
One day I saw him standing with his closest buddy, Morty Rosengarten, on the corner of Sherbrooke Street. "Where are you going?" asked I, who was always on my way somewhere. "We're watching the girls come out for spring," he said, just standing there.

1 comment:

gmc said...

It seems like a cute little ditty - innocuous and fun until you get to the line:
"Brother, you can't go to jail
For what you're thinking..."

eeeeewww!

Mind you , this was written in simpler times when we were perhaps more innocent and naive...? hmmm

Standing on the corner watching all the girls go by
Brother you don't know a nicer occupation
Matter of fact, neither do I
Than standing on the corner watching all the girls
Watching all the girls, watching all the girls go by

I'm the cat that got the cream
Haven't got a girl but I can dream
Haven't got a girl but I can wish
So I'll take me down to Mainstreet
And that's where I select my imaginary dish

Standing on the corner watching all the girls go by
Standing on the corner giving all the girls the eye
Brother if you've got a rich imagination
Give it a whirl, give it a try
Try standing on the corner watching all the girls
Watching all the girls, watching all the girls go by

Saturday and I'm so broke
Haven't got a girl and no joke
Still I'm living like a millionaire
When I take me down to Mainstreet
When I take me down to Mainstreet
And I review the harem
Parading for me there

Standing on the corner
Watching all the girls go by
Standing on the corner
Underneath the springtime sky
Brother, you can't go to jail
For what you're thinking
Or for the woo look in your eye
You're only standing on the corner
Watching all the girls
Watching all the girls
Watching all the girls
Go by

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia