Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Story of Me: In Jobs!

The New York Times posted a story about the difficulty of PhD students in Humanities finding jobs. So I'm not going to take it too personally if I can't get a job teaching Cegep. I'm up against anyone who's applying for those jobs, who already has a PhD--and there may be more of them, if they're not getting jobs at the University level. And with the economic situation, there may be a lot of teachers putting off retirement, so maybe we won't get that "retirement boom" we were expecting.

But... I'll always have my writing, which keeps me feeling like I'm doing something personally satisfying. And I haven't any post-school debt, which definitely makes life easier. And I still have the job I had when I went back to school, and I still enjoy it. So... so far so good.

There was a recent story in Publisher's Weekly about Borders and Waldenbooks laying off a bunch of workers, and that's all at the management level (in-store management, like myself.) But from all I've read in the Borders complaint discussion boards, it's a poorly run company that many employees already felt was on the verge of going out of business. I won't be surprised if they fold. A lot of the things my company did--increasing sales of non-book product, investing in newer technologies--were very foreward thinking. Plus they've paid off the interest on their loans, and only have the capitol to pay off. I'm Barnes and Noble is also in a relatively strong position.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia