Wednesday, December 24, 2008

movies

Tonight I've been working on Gilby's birthday-hanu-Christma-festivus present (which, by tradition, has to be creative or homemade on my part.) When I'm doing crafts I play movies I've seen before, so I don't have to watch closely. Tonight I watched the two versions of Miracle on 34th Street.

I agree with Connie Willis that this is a great Christmas movie (for the many reasons she enumerates.) I used to think the remake was pretty good, but watching them back to back, it does suffer. As Willis points out, almost everyone in the original (except Santa) makes decisions based on self-interest, and that's where much of the humour lies. The new version introduces more charitableness--sappiness, and is therefore not as clever.

Now I'm watching Clash of the Titans. I loved this movie so much as a child, it's what started my interest in Greek mythology (everyone goes through that phase, non?) and Andromeda and Cassiopea became my favourite names. I loved Medusa, she was like a feminist anti-hero. One of the coolest chick-baddies I'd ever seen.

Here is the Calibos action figure my brother had.


















Here is Medusa, created by master special effects dude of the time (my brother worshipped him) Ray Harryhausen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Miracle on 34th Street. It's the Christmas movie I watch every year. I refuse to watch the remake, because I know it won't be as good and it'll just piss me off. (Also refuse to watch the remake of Annie. Why mess with a good thing?) I basically watch it for the guy who plays Santa, and Natalie Wood. I don't even like Maureen O'Hara and her ridiculous hair. I love the part where Santa smacks that therapist guy with his cane! Wonderful!

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia