Monday, February 7, 2011

so cold, she's so cold

I don't talk about my personal life much on my blogs. I feel bad about it sometimes, cause I feel like it makes it hard for people to connect with me online. First, my blogs aren't anonymous from my friends and family--I started this blog as a way to stay in touch with my family when they moved out west, not as a place to vent. And then I don't want to talk about other people's personal stories or issues, without their permission. Cause they know that our other friends might be reading! Or they might not like strangers reading! Or they might not want to see MY take on their situation, here in writing!!

Second, when I was still as my old job, I really couldn't talk about it, tell stories about it. As a manager I signed some sort of contract which I'm sure says something about confidentiality in it. But also, I've always been conscious of that feeling: What if a future employer checked out my blog? I can't write about a past job in any light that makes me look lazy, whiny, trouble-makee, etc. I have a pretty vast range of opinions on work related topics that I'm not comfortable sharing, except in the occasional comment on someone else's blog.

Third, there are other things that I don't feel super private about, but my husband's a much more private person. So I think of him as well. He doesn't usually read my blog, but the principle still has to apply.

Fourth, I do have a pseudonym here, which in theory could protect me from future employers and such. But I've ended up using London Mabel as my login for everything, including my non-personal blogs like Mabel Talk, which I want to use in a professional capacity, and for my website which sort of represents me as a writer. To make this blog more personal I'd have to find a way to disconnect it from my brand, so to speak.

And so that leaves me... the cats. Their personal lives get tossed around like Princess Diana's.

As Rorschach would say... hrm.

3 comments:

Simone said...

I don't like getting too personal on my blog either. I think don't read your blog and think your cold.. quite the contrary! I read it and think: Oh what a nice thing she shared.

Maybe you should set up a blog about "Ray" and "Jenna" a la sec 3 french class or whenever that was. Fill it with hypothetical not so hypothetical stories...

Simone said...

OOPS that is: think don't read your blog and think YOU'RE cold.

it must be known that I know the difference between your and you're.

dirtyduck said...

oh i get it, your "she so cold" title was about you not sharing your personal life stuff? lol i didnt put two and two together:)

i dont think that at all either. and i totally agree with you on the whole anon thing. none of my exteneded family reads my blog, my one veggie friend does but all my other older friends do not. my friends on facebook dont really know about it etc. sometimes ill write about my dad and i not getitng along or about my tatas and ill feel weird when my parents go and check it out:) lol good thing my mom is computer illiterate and that my dad doesnt read "fluff" lol i totally get you on this subject. although i would like to know you more, i know enough to enjoy what you do give.:) dont worry about it:)

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia