Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My beloved boots boots boots!

I'm trying to work my way to starting my career homework. ...Can't you tell?

This winter I've been taking my rubber boots out when the weather is closer to the 0 mark. Because my winter boots have a few leaks in them. I don't think I've ever owned winter boots that didn't eventually spring a few leaks--I blame the salt. They use salt in Montreal like it's going out of style. When you walk along the sidewalks, you're elevated about three inches off the ground by the stuff. When a big icing hits you don't really complain, but still. It wreaks havoc on the footwear, I never remember to rinse off my boots when I return home.

So when it's closer to 0 Celcius and things get slushy, the boots suck. So I tried out my new rainboots. I am so in love with them that I have to recommend them. If you live in a milder climate, where you get a cold rainy winter, or a bit of snow but not tons, you could wear them all winter long. They're so warm. I don't know why, because they're not fleece lined, but my feet are never cold to about -10 Celcius (14 F). They also have really good grips, I've never slipped in them. They also go in at the ankle, so they don't come off my feet.

They're Kamik, which is a 100 year old Quebec company, which is why I think they're so well made for cold weather. Mine are "Wales" which they don't seem to make anymore, but I would assume/hope their other boots are as good. (The Christina looks like the same boot.)  I love them so much, I DO remember to rinse them off when I come home!

I bought mine off Zappos, but paid so much in duties that I wouldn't recommend it to Canadians. You can find a dealer here.

Oh, also, I get compliments all the time. Mine are tartan like this but RED.

And so ends this commercial break.

7 comments:

Simone said...

OMG! I could have written this myself. AND JUST LAST WEEK I said I should buy "Wellies" for the slush after I got SOAKED in my very warm in snow but shitty in slush winter boots.

Its like you're in my head! Spooky.

dirtyduck said...

those are really cute! what do you wear them with though?

London Mabel said...

I don't try to match them with anything, I just wear them with whatever I'm wearing. I don't own a car, so when I get dressed in winter, all I'm thinking about is function, from my boots to every last layer of clothing.

But it's not hard. My boots are red and black, and my jacket's black, and most of my pants are black or brown or jeans.

You could just buy the boots in black. But -sigh- then you wouldn't get all the snazzy compliments. :-)

lora96 said...

Ya know what's cute? THOSE BOOTS omg love them!

London Mabel said...

It's the little things in life.

dirtyduck said...

but *looks worried* do you tuck your pants into them? do you leave them scrunched up halfway all cute, do you....etc etc...???lol

London Mabel said...

Unfortunately I do tuck my pants into them and since I don't have the figure for skinny jeans, it's a bit pouffy. But if it's very sloppy outside and I don't want my pants soaked, I just don't care. If it's drier, then I wear my pants outside the boots.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia