Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Ballad of Headache Mabel

Well, it was coldy, but not so coldy that you can't take your hand out of your mitt for a minute to pull up your hood. And no wind.

I've been on Elavil for a couple years now--a daily drug to prevent my chronic tension headaches. They took my headaches down a significant degree--though I went up two slacks sizes in three months at the time. Doh! But worth it.) That didn't totally rid me of my headaches so my doctor added Ado-nadol, an ARB, but that did nothing. (They almost seemed worse, but surely that was my imagination?) This week I go off the Apo and start Topamax.

It doesn't have weight gain as a side effect, though weight loss can be. Plus pins and needles is the most common, along with soft drinks tasting weird. And difficulty concentrating, or with memory. It's all very exciting.

I hope it helps. I've had a headache all day today, and already took two painkillers (Zomigs) so I'm maxed out. >:-(  It's because I'm getting my period this week--that's my worst worst headache week each month. Now that a specific stressor is out of my life (my last job) it's easier to see what my baseline headaches are.

2 comments:

ladada said...

I've been having a lot of pain this past week since having a dental filling repaired. Sleepless nights waiting for the Advil and Minocycline to kick in ... sigh.

I feel for you. I don't know if I could function so well with chronic headaches. Chronic pain is so fatiguing and distracting.

I hope somehow someone will find THE solution.

Kristin said...

Sorry you're feeling so bad. :( I don't think I'd do so well with the chronic headaches either. Good luck with the new meds!

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia