Sunday, December 19, 2010

Series: My Best Reads of 2010 #2

BEST BOOKS I READ IN 2010 - PUBLISHED IN 2010


Fiction #2:

Room - Emma Donoghue - Irish-Canadian author (September 2010)

About the life of a woman who's been held captive in a basement for over five years--and what saves it from being a horror story is that it's told from the point of view of her son, who's only ever known this life in Room. And tension results between them when they escape and the mother has to deal with her feelings of anger, while Jack just longs to return to Room and Rug and Table. Most pleasant surprise: Because of my Hollywood Clichés Training, I kept expecting A Big Scene to erupt during Jack's transition, but the story just carries on at an ordinary pace.

Special Relationship: The tenderness between Jack and his new step-grandfather, whom his mother hasn't yet accepted.

Did I get teary? Yes.

Further Reading: I haven't read any of these, but I'm guessing Room falls into a similar category as The Lovely Bones and Still Alice. That is, sad topics dealt with in interesting ways. But if you want a totally awful, horrifying and cheesy approach to Kidnap & Children then read Flowers in the Attic! Brrr. Disgusting and unputdownable.


3 comments:

Kristin said...

I've heard a lot about this book this year. Will have to put it on my list.

Irene said...

"Room" It's on my reading list in my reader. One of my best read this year was "Purge" by Sofi Oksanen.

London Mabel said...

@Irene - I remember your review of Purge, it looks interesting.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia