Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ranting about Hancock

Just watched the movie Hancock: The first half was so good, that it made the second half all the more horrendously bad. Stop the movie after the bank heist scene.

The director said the original script read like Leaving Las Vegas--you can read a description here. They lifted it up a bit into more of a Redemption story, and the first half is well done. I was thinking: "Why were the reviews so bad? This movie is really touching."


Oh my days. There's a plot twist in the second half that obviously has nothing to do with the original movie, that is stupid, full of holes, and completely ruins it. The second half of the movie would have made for a nice mediocre superhero movie all on its own; but tagged onto the story of this lonely, alcoholic superhero... blehhhh.

I could go on and on, in detail, but I'll spare you.

4 comments:

ladada said...

Yup - starts so good but then gets so baaad. ?? Designed by committee or what?

London Mabel said...

I also really liked the relationship between Hancock and the white guy--Ray. And that gets shoved aside in the second half.

London Mabel said...

Good job [thumbs up.] Good job [thumbs up.]

Will Smith's acting was really good too--he really restrained his inner clown, so when the humour appeared it was just right. (Like when he lands for the first time in his new costume. "... ... ...It's a bit tight.")

And Jason Bateman too. "Greenpeace didn't see it that way."

Even the kid. "No one likes you." "I DOOO!!!"

So sad, so sad.

BrotherPaul said...

I completely agree. It starts out with the promise of becoming one of my favourite movies, and then just goes into the toilet at the end.

If you don't want to put it here, feel free to email me with your views of the 2nd half and the plot twist.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia