Monday, December 6, 2010

Dickens

I've been occasionally popping in to see what Oprah's up to this season cause it's her finale. Today she picked her new book club reads, but they're books she's never read--A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. (Penguin made this special edition--lots of profit to be had in copyright-free books. But I must admit it's gorgeous.)


I've read two Oprah picks, though not when they were announced. Both were really REALLY good. Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance is one of my favourite books of all time; and Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible, which I loved but would rank higher if the ending wasn't so mediocre.

But this is the first time I think I'm going to read an Oprah pick at the time it's announced. I don't know about Great Expectations, but I've always wanted to read A Tale of Two Cities. And since I'm close to finishing the Dashiell Hammett I'm reading, it's good timing.

The only Dickens books I've ever completed were A Christmas Carol, and Our Mutual Friend--both are excellent. Judging by these two books, and the screen versions of others, I just LOVE Dickens' characters. He was able to create the weirdest, funniest, most hated, most lovable creatures.

If you like this sort of thing, you must watch the Bleak House mini-series. Oh my days. Gillian Anderson--wow. The screenplay is by Andrew Davies who's a master, he did the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice.

2 comments:

ladada said...

A Tale of Two Cities is one of my most favorite books! I have an annotated version that provides tons of interesting background to the times and so draws out many of Dicken's allusions to signficant events surrounding this story... for instance that the Paris graveyard was marked with the inscription: "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Herein" as a protest against Christianity.. and the enshrining of a woman representing Reason in Notre Dame cathedral... And that church officials were also beheaded in the revolution because of the abuses and wealth of the decadent church leaders. Anyway, enjoy the read! It's a great book.

London Mabel said...

Ya that's the other reason I've always wanted to read it, cause I know you love it. :-)

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia