Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unfortunately I'm becoming an etsy addict.

So here's the wallet I bought a few weeks ago--a 1960s Lady Buxton with secret compartment! But Fernando fell in love with it and now its his. The change part was a bit small so I let it go.


Here is the new one I ordered. (Well not new, but "vintage.") I love the colour and style.

I found the perfect use for my little wristlet, made by a staff member with an etsy store. My mp3 player is tiny, but I use bulky headphones, so they're a big mess in my bag. Now I put them in my wristlet!
Here is the second purse organizer. I tried it out this weekend. It fits almost all my stuff, and stands up well in the purse, and would fit better in smaller purses or when my backpack is full of groceries. But...
...I've grown so fond of my bottom-one. (The top one is a strip of fabric that you curl up. This one is a bucket.)
Because the big things that don't fit in the pockets, you put them in the middle, so when you change purses you hardly have to transfer anything. I move the bucket, my headphones, and umbrella. I also, Quite Brilliantly, added a clothespin upon which I can hang my keys. It's like having a really big wallet.

Whereas with the top one I'd also have to move my wallet and book and maybe sunglasses. So I'm using the top one for the little basket of things I keep by the couch - gum, dental floss, pens, scissors, cat nail clippers, measuring tape, etc. and I put a little purse full of my nail polishes in the middle. It's perfect!!
Sigh. I do so love organizing things. I highly recommend a purse organizer. Digging out a stick of gum has never been so pleasurable.

I went looking for cheap earrings, but only bought one pair ($2.50 + shipping.) The thing about etsy is that it's either greener purchasing, if you're buying vintage or upcycled items; or it has value if you're buying artisanal wares (value re supporting small business, craftsmanship); but when you're shipping things from Thailand, or even just the States, it's certainly not green-local! So I'll probably limit my earring buying. Though there's a nice pair of Frankenstein earrings, and a Hanuman necklace, and Oscar Wilde locket, and an octopus necklace giving out free hugs.


I also bought this little scarf-ee, I love it's kind-of china-dish pattern. I love this handmade scarfee but it's a bit too cher pour moi.

And finally, I went on the Great Slipper Quest. I really liked these, but no one makes them, it's just a pattern. And I can't make them. And these look well made, but less cute. And these are cute, but more expensive, and made of wool which I don't really buy anymore (vegan-wise.) These are a lot of fun, but will have to wait for a $50 slipper day, not a $15 day.

Anyway, as we speak someone is hard at work knitting these for me, in gray. And now, time for an etsy break. Money doesn't grow on trees you know!! Or on etsy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must check out etsy!!! Love the purse organizer. I am looking for something for my small backpack.

ladada said...

As close as I come to shopping for a purse organizer is finding a "new" wallet at a garage sale last year - now I have a trifold instead of a bifold - major readjustments but I'm getting quite used to it now and saved hundreds of cents!! ;-)

Now I need a new key holder thingy - but no one apparently - makes the "jacknife" style key holder any more. I love these because they are so compact. The more usual rings and "wallets" with all the keys layed out on a rail of rings are just too big to sit on comfortably.

I may have to build my own!

London Mabel said...

irene - This is the etsy store where I bought mine (with the bucket bottom.)

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=divide+conquer&search_type=handmade

(or search for divide and conquer)

They have five sizes I think. It's soo handy!

Kristin said...

Well, while you're at it, would you care to purchase one of my collection of Madame Alexander dolls that I never wanted but received every year of my life through about 19 from my grandmother who bought them on sale and thought they'd be valuable collectors items one day, but really no one in my family ever gauges these things correctly (they bought into the Beanie Baby craze big-time too)?

Or as my friend, Michele, put it when I let her take over my site because etsy kind of makes me twitch:

"Hello!! Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the Etsy world! I started this shop a little while ago because I am having to downsize my home due to a chronic medical condition. Rather than put my treasures in storage, I wanted to share them with someone who would love them as much as I do. I hope that you will find something extra special for yourself or a loved one. Please feel from to convo me with any comments, questions, or concerns. Thanks again for taking a peek!"

The good news is that no one in my extended family will ever figure out that's me, and they can't... It would cause terrible drama, and people wouldn't likely speak to me for a long time.

This is actually my site:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageMadame?ga_search_query=vintagemadame&ga_search_type=seller_usernames

*hates Etsy*

No one will buy from me. No one wants these damned dolls, and it's four times as expensive to post on ebay. :(

London Mabel said...

K - Well isn't your collection just precious!

I think ebay is more the kind of site where people buy dolls, though. You should find some of the dolls already on ebay and click on the "watch this item" and see if they sell. It would be worth paying the money if you'd actually make money.

Well, thanks for the laugh anyway, its been a long day. :-)
I don't think hipsters buy Madame Alexander dolls, unless it was to be ironic, in which case they wouldn't pay so much.

Kristin said...

Did you happen to see the headless Jill (with Jack)? I was thinking about adding a tag like "decapitation" to see if I could get any of the goth business, at least.

I have watched them on ebay too, and no one really wants them on there either. :(

Kristin said...

btw, I don't think etsy is hipster *at all.* I think it's very *earnest,* etsy. Also, it has way too much junk. I can't shop by "lowest to highest price" like I usually do because there is so much junk. The place is teeming with, like, purses made of tape and Kool-Aid packets.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia