Thursday, July 22, 2010

munsch-ee end of The Nom Bom Experiment

Alright, as of the end of today the Nom Nom Experiment is over. Phew! It's harder on weekends!

Having tried this for a week I think I need to come up with some general rules. I don't intend to always not-eating-while-being-entertained, but I did learn some things.

WORK
- If I'm eating a controlled portion, like one sandwich brought from home, I'm probably safe to eat while working. But if I pull out my snacks, or I buy a bigger lunch nearby, then it's better to focus on what I'm eating so that I don't over-do it. In any case the continued problem will be resisting running off to buy a snack when I just don't need one. Maybe if I make a rule like "I have to eat that snack while standing on one foot" my laziness will prevent the snack!

BREAKFAST
- This all depends on getting the portion right when I'm standing in the kitchen. Cause once I'm back sitting in bed eating, I'll eat whatever I've got, and have often eaten too much just cause it's there. One bowl of cereal, or two toasts with milky-tea or chocolate milk is the right amount for me.

- The other problem is eating nutritiously at breakfast, because it's the moto-rev-up for the day. I try to do peanut butter on my toast, to get a protein boost. But Shreddies or Wheetabix aren't really doing me much good. I sometimes make homemade granola and it's very nutritious, but it's soooooooooooo good that Fernando and I eat it within a couple days (as constant snack.)


LUNCH/SUPPER
- When I get home from work I'm usually very hungry so I take a huge portion of whatever. So this would be a good meal to eat at the kitchen table.

- Unless it's vegetable based, in which case I don't think I mind stuffing myself. For example, a soup that's almost all pureed veggies. Or dipping crunchy vegetables into homemade hummus. I can probably do that while watching TV or reading. The veggies are so full of fibre and water that you really feel the fullness anyway.

- On the other hand, something vegetable based but heavy, and carried to the mouth on a tortilla chip, spells trouble. Yes guacamole, I mean you. Today I ate my guacamole at the kitchen table and stopped when I felt full. I think I should stick to this practice. I can't say the number of times I've gorged myself in front of the TV on guacamole, and just felt totally BLEH sick afterwards. That much oil just can't be consumed in one sitting.

SNACKS
- Here lies danger! I suspect I should always eat sweets without doing anything else. Because if the cookies disappear too quickly, without me being really conscious of them, then I'm much more likely to go back to the kitchen and get more. The cookies require Attention.

- Chippies. Oh chippies. How I love you. But when I eat too many of you, I always regret it. There are some food theories that you only fully taste the flavour of something at the first few bites (which might be why a food with complex flavour and ingredients is more satisfying), and that is SO true for chippies. I'd almost say that the drive behind chippy consumption is the quest to recapture the taste of the first three chips. So if I sit and Do Nothing Else, I'll probably realize that the taste is gone, and stop. And plus, the boredom. (Crunch crunch stare at wall crunch crunch stare at foot crunch crunch...)

And now I feel like having some chippies. Bye!

3 comments:

dirtyduck said...

lol i love the name of the experiment!! good guidelines:)i try to fill up on veggies, you cant go wrong with that.

Kristin said...

This seems like a lot of rules to me.

London Mabel said...

Well they're not rules-rules, meant for other people. They're me-specific intuitive conclusions, and therefore not hard to remember. ...Hard to follow perhaps, but not remember.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia