Friday, June 4, 2010

Research - digi land

I keep reaching the hard drive storage space limits with my computer--I have over 50 gigs of music, which is half my hard drive. I've got about 5 gigs left and then I either need a new computer, or a new hard drive (I have an external drive for backups, but I don't want to have a permanent external with my laptop--not practical.)

A picture of my hard drive, using Disk Inventory X. (I recently used this program to discover a huge folder full of unneeded installation files, which won me back some disk space.)
navy blue = mp3
red = mp4 (itunes AAC format)
yellow = applications (software)
apple green = documents
turquoise = pdfs (mostly articles from my school days)

It didn't occur to me that I'm not the only one with this problem, and the problem will only grow. People who are now buying all their movies and tv shows by download have an even bigger problem. Even a terrabyte hard drive could potentially fill up!

So there are businesses now that operate by "cloud." Your date is stored on the internets, and with a premium subscription you can make some of it available offline for the times when you're not connected. I don't know if this will become the necessary standard one day--this dude says yes, his commentors say BS. But something will have to change--maybe just better ways to compact videos and such.

I realized that kobo already works in a "cloud" way. The books I buy don't download to my computer permanently, so if I accidentally delete it off my eReader or software, I can download it again. Mind--then your content, which you OWN, is held in third party hands. What if they go under? Or what if it's something like photos, which are more personal?

It's a mad mad mad mad world out there in digi land. Gosh knows what the landscape will look like once the dust settles; and I don't even know if the dust will ever settle, because revolutions and advancements are happening at a neck-breaking speed.

So vair vair interesting.

2 comments:

maggie said...

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZ0z5Fm-Ng

and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIFYPQjYhv8&feature=related

gmc said...

Microsoft is apparently buying up/out small, industry leading "cloud" sites. Apple already has things like iTunes and the apple file interchange things built into their software (mobile me?) ... and ways to upload/share files in iLife apps etc...

Add to this the growing access to internet via 3G telephone nets and standard Wifi's and the growing poplularity of things like netbooks and iPads and iPhones ....

All this suggests to me that the industry is already moving towards a centralized "cloud" infrastructure. I'd invest in it rather than bet against it myself.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia