Friday, June 18, 2010

I'm on the jazz!


We went to see the A-Team tonight. I haven't read any reviews, cause I knew I'd like it almost no matter what. And I loved it! It was sooo much like the original show. I think I was the only person laughing throughout. The plots they hatched were Extremely Ridiculous like the original.

I thought it was going to start with their jailbreak, but it actually starts with their meeting, and the original crime they're set up for, which was fun. I thought the casting was spot on, and I bought the camaraderie between them, which is key. I also thought Owl Man was great as the somewhat scummy CIA agent.

The only *outlier* from the original series (which I've watched many times) is that Hannibal sometimes gets impatient at Face when he makes mistakes, and he's teaching him how to become a Master Plotter like himself. It didn't bother me, but it made Hannibal's character a little more serious than in the original. In the TV series Hannibal was occasionally serious, like when defending the US of A, or the army, or The Little Guy, but he never cared when the team's plans blew up in their faces. He just sort of took it all in stride.

Sigh. I would love another movie, but I don't think this one was popular enough.


Apparently poor Liam Neeson had a tough time quitting smoking 16 years ago, and had to take it up for the film because rubber cigars looked too fake. So he had to quite again after the movie, which was hard because it was filmed in Canada--which means they got him Cubans. Well, smart of him to quit, since George Peppard died of lung cancer.

3 comments:

ladada said...

I'm so glad you liked it!

I was thinking of you while watching Men Who Stare at Goats the other night. It's worth a rental sometime - not as good as it might have been. But it is funny in places especially watching all the inside jokes about Jedi Knights by Ewan McGregor's character.

ladada said...

Oh yeah - one more thing. Men Who Stare at Goats made me think that they were stretching a little towards something like Catch-22. And while they missed, it did send me looking for Catch-22 which I rented at iTunes today. That is still and excellent anti-war dark comedy after all these years!

London Mabel said...

Ya I even read the book (Catch 22), I seem to remember really liking it.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia