Thursday, May 20, 2010

My love affair with Janelle

I'm taking in Janelle Monae's new album, but I'm in no rush. What I found with her last EP was that it just got better and better, listen after listen. Nooo rush.

Here are 3 songs from her EP that show a bit of her versatility.

Many Moons - which I've watched many times cause the video is SO well done. I especially love the screaming Elvis-Presley-like female fans. And the song is sooo interesting. It just keeps changing gears and surprising you!


A stripped down version of "Sincerely Jane" - JM knows how to address topics from an ethical standpoint, without making you feel preached at. The lyrics aren't obscure, they're not overly art-ee, and yet they're simply well written. And good for her for pitting herself against the glorification of gangs--it's time for hophop to grow out of that shit.



And the first video from her new album. "Tightrope."

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia