Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Books - skipping along now

I've been reading the Lawrence Sanders book, but I've decided to skip it. The first chapter or so is all about the killer, and man does this guy write in DETAIL. Holy crap. I don't even know which parts I can speed read. I don't mind reading long, detailed books when they're really interesting, or literary, or I lurv the characters--but we just spent the first 13 500 words following around the killer for one day.

Then we spent the next few pages reading about the detective's sandwiches.

I decided to check out the reader reviews first--if most people say "OMG GRIPPING PAGE TURNER COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN" then I might have kept plugging away. But this one-star review just confirmed my worst fears:

"Most of the book deals with how the killer does in her victims or how the detective makes a sandwich. Instead getting details on how the crime is solved, we get details about sloppy, gross sandwiches that are eaten over a sink. In the end the crime really isn't solved and the killer is discovered mostly by accident. "

Out.

So on to the next. I'm gonna read my friend's fantasy book which I downloaded from kobo, so that I can (a) finally read her book, and (b) finally try out the kobo.

2 comments:

Shayna said...

I fully approve of this course of action.

London Mabel said...

I seem to recall that the draft I read, I was never sure of the boy's age. This time I can picture him much better in my mind. Yay! Good job, good job.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia