Thursday, April 29, 2010

the joys of a good old fashioned thriller

I didn't bring enough with me to Swissgirl's. I do have a graphic novel I could read, but I'm not really in the mood for that. I knew I'd finish today the Sidney Sheldon I brought on the bus coming home... so I... I bought another Sheldon book today at work. Even though I have hundreds of unread books at home. I couldn't help it!! It's not my fault!! (Breaks down sobbing.)

I devoured 3 Sheldon books in high school, but haven't read him since. I can visually remember sitting in bed, out of school cause I was recovering from wisdom tooth removal, reading Master of the Game. Oooh I lurved it. And I can picture myself standing in the school hall reading a thrilling courtroom scene in Rage of Angels. (Below are the covers my books had.)


The book I just read was Bloodline--I picked it up second hand somewhere, and check out the great 70s cover. The thriller aspect of the book held up, but it was comically dated in some ways. Every time we're introduced to a character, we're given a detailed description of their home decor. This is in part why the book was such a quick read... there were some very clear spots where I could skim!

Halfway through the book a great detective character shows up--he's a sort of an ugly Poirot, who speaks many foreign languages but with incomprehensible accents, and he's so good at using computers to research that he's described as having little gossips with them. Sheldon writes out conversations between him and the computers. I love this character, I wish he'd written a bunch of books featuring him! But I guess, like Caleb Carr, he didn't know a good detective when he invented one. Le sigh.


Here's the one I just bought.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia