Saturday, February 20, 2010

Olympics

As someone with very little interest in sports I don't watch the Olympics--but I incidentally watch them, because Fernando does. (Or I sit in my room reading, and he brings me updates about all the interesting stuff.) One year I somehow found myself watching pairs skating the year of the famous Salé and Pelletier scandal! Ooh.

So far I've enjoyed...

* All the crazy accidents on the women's downhill skiing.

* The turtle-thunderbird helmet. Fernando was watching skeleton racing, and we both kept trying to see the helmet cause it's so beautiful, and immediately identifiable as a West Coast aboriginal design. It was designed by Tsimshian-Cree artist Phil Gray, though it was Montgomery's idea to add the turtle (it's hard to see the thunderbirds, they're on the sides.



2 comments:

ladada said...

Paul gave me the idea to paint some kind of west coast native motif on my airplane... I want something simple so I've been thinking of a raven? or other bird face on each side of my cowl in red, then some matching red highlights on the wing tips, etc...

I'm thinking of asking a local native artist I've met if he'd design something, then I'd probably have a decal made to stick on the cowling... and he could design something that wouldn't violate anyone's sense that I was using such art inappropriately (i.e. if their are spiritual implications for certain designs...).

This helmut made me think of these ideas - ta!

p.s. Have you seen the Hudson's Bay commercial related to the Olympics? I think it's a ridiculous portrayal of their past exploitation of aboriginal cultures - sheesh. It basically celebrates the Euro-invasion of North America.

HBC AD

Meanwhile they continue to rip off the local aboriginal culture:

Sweater Ripoff

London Mabel said...

I just saw it today, and I only caught half of it and thought: What the-!

Re the Cowichan, I just love this: "HBC said it considered using traditional Cowichan knitters to produce its sweaters, but felt they could not meet its strict standards."

Sorry, the Cowichan knitters, essentially master craftspeople, couldn't meet the Bay's standards? Standards for mass production, but that's about it.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia