Sunday, January 10, 2010

My day: Part 1 - The Costume

It's hard for Fernando to get me out of the house, especially in the winter. But I needed to go to Value Village which is next to the theatah. So we went to Village, then supper, then saw Sherlock Holmes and It's Complicated.

-1- Village des Valeurs

The upcoming staff party theme is "The Nightmare After Christmas." Dressing horror isn't usually my shtick, but I thought of the perfect costume for someone like moi. I will be a Pride and Prejudice zombie hunter. (Working at a bookstore, I assume everyone will get it.)




I bought a blouse at Reitman's that has an Empire waist,
but needed a floor length dress. I decided on all black so that it's easier to piece together (after all I'm sure to be in mourning because zombies killed some family members, right?)


I found a long enough black dress that will fit well under the blouse. I bought a black wrap around skirt so I can add a train or cape.

I also picked up a black handkerchief, and a purse which I can make look reticule-ish.There were no long gloves, so I'll just wear my semi-long fall gloves.

I can't wear my hair up cause I'll get a headache, but I bought curlers. I'll try to make ringlets, and then maybe tie a black scarf around, turban-style.

[The best I can do is Billie Piper in Mansfield Park.]

I bought a black flower-and-feather corsage, black plastic pearls, a broach, and I have the perfect earrings.

[Looking sad because my family's been eaten.]

I have to make a fan next, and a sword. (We used to have a foil, but I may have finally convinced my husband to part with it. Not that you could kill a zombie with a foil. You'd need a sword for decapitating, or a pistol.)


This is the first time I've ever had a chance to make up a Regency costume, so it's vair vair exciting. The only sad thing is that the black won't photograph well. But I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

BrotherPaul said...

Dollar stores these days carry really nice toy pistols.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia