Friday, January 29, 2010

From pants to blitz


Read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants all day, so that I can start Blackout.

I kept this freebie of Pants for years now because Friend Maewitch enjoyed it and our tastes are similar enough. Here are my thoughts.

* It was unintentionally funny, because after reading so many Georgia stories, which are British and therefore "pants" means underwear, and the characters are ALWAYS making jokes about pants, it's now hard for me to take the title of this book seriously.

* Great characters.

* Sadder than I expected, which wasn't quite what I was in the mood for. But since I'm heading into Connie, who will most certainly throw some tragedy at me, I might as well get used to feeling melancholy.

Too many teen books have all this You Must Learn to Deal With Life ness to them. No wonder Gossip Girl books are so popular.

Onto Blackout. The thank-you page is already awesome, and hints at some of the great research she did:

"I want to thank the marvelous group of ladies at the Imperial War Museum the day I was there doing research--women who, it turned out, had all been rescue workers and ambulance drivers and air-raid wardens during the Blitz, and who told me story after story that proved invaluable to the book and to my understanding of the bravery, determination, and humor of the British people as they faced down Hitler. And I want to thank my wonderful husband, who found them, sat them down, bought them tea and cakes, and then came to find me so I could interview them. Best husband ever!"

Sounds like something Fernando would do.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia