Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wherein I defend 2 romcoms


Reading Entertainment Weekly's "40 Bad Romantic Comedies" lists (there are two.) Most of the movies I haven't seen, because I'm pretty good at avoiding bad movies. But I (and most of the commentors) have to disagree with two choices:

Two Weeks Notice is one of my favourite rom coms. The hero is irredeemably stupid, and that's a rarity in romances. And the heroine is consistently frumpy, ethical and intelligent. It's a great combination.

The other one we all defended was Head Over Heels, which I just saw on TV this week. It's not a good romance, but it's a great comedy. The heroine is an art restorer, but she lives with four models, and they're trying to figure out if the hero is a murderer. He doesn't even appear on screen much, because most of the movie's goodness comes from watching the dumb models. If you made a movie about Zoolander's roommates, this would be it. I love comedies about Groups of Dumb Guys (Judd Apatow movies, The Hangover, etc.), and it's a nice change to find a comedy about a Group of Dumb Girls. I totally recommend.

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia