Saturday, August 1, 2009

Is the stuff literature or not?

Archy and Mehitabel poems appeared in the 1920s, ostensibly written by a cockroach who would jump around on this writer's keyboard at night, and leave poems behind. He often had as companion Mehitable the cat, who was Cleopatra in a previous life.

My grandfather (the deceased English lit professor, who gave me my first book of Oscar Wilde plays) introduced me to these.

Here is a little tease of one of the poems...


boss i am disappointed in
some of your readers they
are always asking how does
archy work the shift so as to get a
new line or how does archy do
this or do that they
are always interested in technical
details when the main question is
whether the stuff is
literature or not

No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia