Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A History of Me: In boots!

Fernando and I were shopping today, and we were talking about what I wanted for my birthday, when I spotted this from the corner of my eye, in the window of the home brew store:

When I was in grade 2 or 3, I think, our mother brought home 2 mugs just like this--one for me and for my brother. We loved them. We had a ritual every Friday night where we would watch The Dukes of Hazzard and have a bag of chips and a bottle of pop each, and this became The Favored Pop Mug. If you drank from it at the right angle, it splashed pop in your face... which was the whole fun, of course.

We are now the proud owner of two mug boots.

And the public offer is going out to Brother Pablo--if he wants one of the mugs, I'll give one to him. Otherwise, Fernando and I will sit on our little couch, with our little boots, and carry on the family tradition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember those... cool

Anonymous said...

The countdown to spring counter seems to be impaired... maybe spring on another planet? ;-)


gmc

Mom said...

These mugs first came out when Paul was still a baby. There was a cheap, family steak house in Edmonton (The Ponderosa) that used to give you these boots if you bought their special (and to us expensive) drink.

Of course we had to buy a couple as we'd never seen them before. They were way too cool.

Years later they were for sale in souvenir type stores for about $10, a total rip off. In the last couple of years I've seen them for $2-3 each in some dollar stores.

If you decide to start a crystal glassware registry, be sure to tell me and I'll keep my eyes open for them. lololol

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia