Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Malcolm X

I like A. O. Scott's short online video movie reviews on the New York Times. In time for The Inauguration is his review of Malcolm X (apparently Obama cites the book as an influence.) It's one of my favourite movies, and I loved the book it was based on. I highly recommend it for any who haven't seen it. Malcolm went through several transformations in his life, which Spike Lee portrays in part by using different lighting/film techniques. Think I'm due for a re-watch.

Even though Hollywood usually loves to give epic movies the Best Film of the Year award, that year the Oscars by-passed Malcolm X for... Scent of a Woman. Which was cute, at best. Racist much? Blehhhhhh. I've been very Oscar blasé since.



No comments:

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia