Thursday, December 11, 2008

I can't top the other blogger's clever title

Noticed this good article linked to someone's blog--and their blog was cleverly titled "I kissed a guy and I didn't like it." I can't believe the shit Letterman is quoted as having said. Maybe it's time the old boy was put out to pasture. Sounds like James Franco is doing a good job, though--especially since the movie in question is about a gay rights activist, for heaven's sake. (I'm excited about seeing Milk--San Franciscoooo!)

I seem to remember when kd lang was asked what it was like to kiss Cindy Crawford (for Vanity Fair) she said something like: What do you think??

*

In the relentless publicity interviews he's been doing for his new movie, "Milk," there's plenty to ask about his performance as the neglected lover of San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk, the gay rights martyr. So what does every interviewer -- from David Letterman to the Philippine Daily Inquirer to public radio's Terry Gross -- want to discuss most, over and over and over?

The kissing.

Wasn't it really difficult to kiss another man? Implied: Without throwing up, seeing as you're so obviously straight? What were you thinking as you kissed? Did you rehearse it? What was it liiiiiike?

Underlying the questions (and the answers) is this notion that a gay kissing scene must be the worst Hollywood job hazard that a male actor could face, including stunt work, extreme weather or sitting through five hours of special-effects makeup every day. We live comfortably, if strangely, in a pseudo-Sapphic era in which seemingly every college woman with a MySpace page has kissed another girl for the camera; but for men who kiss men, it's still the final frontier.

*

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my fucking god... Yeah. I've been avoiding all the articles and stuff on Milk because, among other things... I'm still pissed off about what happened in CA ("Let's blame teh blacks for Prop 8!" Assholes...) and having a kinda visceral reaction to ongoing Centering of the Presentable White Gay Male Subject as The Public Face of the Queers... I'll see it when I calm down a little about that.

Also, yeah, the whole, "ZOMG, what was it like to kiss a DUDE?" thing in the interviews. So much stupid out there, really.

P.S. Is it okay if I say "fuck" on your blog? My Commenting on Blogs Persona has become one that says fuck a whole lot, even if I don't tend to say it as often in person... :)

Kristin said...

I still haven't gotten my own blog out there, of course... One of these days. Mostly, I just need someone to set it up for me, and then I'll be good to go with the random commentary. Not good with the details, is the thing.

London Mabel said...

Re the swearing - I didn't even notice.

Re the blog - I'll email you.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia