Monday, November 10, 2008

Jackets Are For This Lady

In Health News

Last night I was whining to myself: Why? Why is there Entropy? Why does everything require Maintenance?? (That is to say--why do I have to continually do dishes, and get phlebotomized, and get pap smears, and buy groceries, etc.) Why can't I just sit around at home and play?

But then I always feel stupid for whining when I have an easy job, a safe warm home, a nice little dishwasher, health insurance from my nice little husband's nice secure job, mostly free health care, lots of clothes, I can afford to keep cats, a huge library across the street, cheap buses, cheap education and therefore no debt, etc etc etc. And so the whining stops. (And then starts again when the alarm clock goes off.)

I went to the doctor today to get my birth control renewed--and lucky me, I didn't need a pap this year. Plus I got my flu shot. And this year, for the first time, they've got a nurse working at the clinic! So my appointment was on time! So really no excuses for whining! I also got a referral to a gynecologist, for when I'm ready to look into getting an IUD. Nobody will *fix* you when you're 35, so I'd like to be on two kinds of birth control. Every time I have a late-period-scare it takes ten years off my life. (Fernando's not an abortion kinda guy, so pregnancy is mucho scary, though at least school is done.)

Oh--and my cough finally disappeared this week. My doctor didn't notice anything when she listened to my lungs.

In Winter Coat News

I also made my last Big Ticket Purchase today. If you recall I went up to 4 days/week so I could afford a new printer, winter coat, work clothes, etc. (Now I have to start paying back my brother, and THEN I can save for San Fran. Possibly the SF trip... not very near future.)

I was at my little mall and remembered there's a Sports Experts, so I bought a NorthFace men's jacket. It was one of the only ones with a big faux-furry hood. All the men's jackets these days are stupidly-unfurry, as though Furry is For Ladies*. Like this:


But when I pulled up the hood on the furry one... oooooh. Like I told my coworkers, a hood is like having a bus shelter on your head. The coat has a ton of pockets, and since it's NorthFace it should last. It was $280, which (yip!) is cheap for NF, but it was the only one that fit and had what I wanted. Also, buying this coat makes me an athlete, according to the web site: "this is the jacket for the athlete who’s in tune with style and function."


And I got a $50 gift card with the purchase, so I can go back and buy mitts. (Not only did I lose two hats during my MA, but also two pairs of super-nuclear mittens!) I'm all about the mittens. Gloves are For Gentlemen.

Look at the description of these mitts: "Quilted soft chamude nose wipe on thumbs." Can you see me wiping my nose on my mittens, while standing at the bus stop? Apparently Kleenex is also For Ladies.


* Inside Joke Explanation: One winter one of Gilby's friends turned up at his house with no jacket on. Someone shamed him about it, and he replied: "Jackets are for ladies." Certainly one of the best come-backs of all time.

4 comments:

-p. said...

Nit that it's any of my business, but since you brought it up--

I'm surprised you can't find a doctor who will "fix" someone at age 35--I got "fixed" at age 31--before I was even married (the first time...).

And it's way easier on guys than it is on girls--twenty minutes, no general anesthetic, weekend on the couch watching football and hockey with a bag of frozen peas (the key is to do it on a Friday...). An excellent investment that has continued to pay off--no pills or potions or powders...

Anonymous said...

"Quilted soft chamude nose wipe on thumbs."

Shakespeare's greatest put-down. From Henry III, I believe.

Anonymous said...

And as for how well your life is going, don't forget that you also have your Dental Hygienist's approval!

Anonymous said...

Be warm and prosper. Glad to hear your cough cleared up.

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia