Monday, October 13, 2008

The Real Me Part 1

Now that I don't wear glasses anymore, I'm missing jewelery. Big earrings plus loud glasses starts to look like Crazy Cat Lady beyond a certain age. I don't mind becoming Crazy Cat Lady when I'm in my 70s or something, but in my 30s... I'm too young.

But without glasses, I can wear big earrings again, plus they're in fashion. I only kept a small handful, so I'll have to restock. (Luckily my taste runs to Cheap.)

Today I wore the only extravagant pair I still own to work--it looks disco-ball-ish. None of the new staff know me as The Crazy Earring Chick (as I was always known in the past) so you can understand how pleased I was when one of the cashiers complimented me on them and said: They're very you.

Wow. So in all these years of boring dress code, my Crazy Earring personality has still managed to shine through. As my old GM used to say: Amaaazing!

I had another great Personal Moment today. Not long ago I sent someone (who I thought *got* my sense of humour) a sassy work-related email, which I thought was clearly meant to be funny. Let's just say it did not Go Over. I was genuinely saddened, cause there are only a handful of people who understand my humour, which means I can only unleash it on rare occasions (and at home, thank God.) But I am so damned funny! And the world just doesn't know... sigh. Well that's what writing is for.

Anyway, I wrote a couple email replies to someone else who is on my Gets the Jokes list (and he's the only person I know who deals in constant double entendres, which I love). And because of Recent Painful Experience (RPE?) I was a little bit unsure after. Then at closing time I got a call from this person, who was laughing his ass off because he had just read the emails. He loved them. OH MY GOD. This now means so much to me, that I would take a bullet for this guy. I already loved this guy, but now I, like UBER love him. I'd be a baby surrogate for him. I'd pick up a manager-on-duty shift for him! (Okay, maybe not that far...)

It's funny how we can say things to people and have no real idea of the effect. Even though I profusely thanked him, he can't possibly know what this meant to me.

Which brings me to another topic... but I guess I'll start a separate post for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't wear glasses any more?

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia