Friday, June 6, 2008

Just call me Jek Porkins: Red Six

So I've been on amitriptyline for about 8 months. The dosage was increased to 50 mg before Christmas I think.

I thought the only side effect I was having was the drowsiness, which I can live with since it helps me sleep. And I've occasionally had dry mouth. I might be getting constipation except I eat so much fibre I wouldn't notice. But I've gained weight this year (as measured by the snuggness of the jeans I bought last summer), and while there's nothing surprising in that (sitting at a desk writing papers and eating homemade treats) I can't say I'm eating much worse than I did in the first few years of school. This recent gain seems unusually rapid for me.

So it's occurred to me that it might be the drug, since most anti-depressants (which this was originally made for) cause weight. Sure enough, it's a possible side effect, and it doesn't take long to find long threads of people panicking about their post-amitriptyline rapid weight gain. Doh!

Well I won't go off it--I can't live with that level of headachiness. But I may have to... no don't say it!... gasp!... exercise. I bought this pair of jeans and 3 corduroys last summer, I can't afford to outgrow them! That's money, baby.

And speaking of drowsiness... I took my pill 2 hours ago and now I'm ready to fall face first into the keyboard. Away to bed! Tomorrow I shall be reporting in from Vancouver.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mkay, so have you been concentrating on your other blog, y'know the one about body acceptance, lately? 'Cause, well... You're not fat.

I think that's partly what my weight gain was from, and, yeah, it's best not to worry too much about it. It usually levels off.

I'm not against exercising. I hate it myself. It's *boring,* but it'll be so convenient in the apartment I'm moving into in August that I'll probably have to suck it up and go do it... Agh... Why do they have to make it so boring and repetitive?

Latest mabeltalk posts, so you can catch what interests you :-)

Where would I be without you?

Support Wikipedia